BANGKOK, March 24 – Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva today denied all allegations against him in connection with his government’s crackdown on demonstrators in the 2010 political upheaval.
The Attorney General charged him and his deputy Suthep Thaugsuban with premeditated murder in ordering the now-dissolved Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) to reclaim Ratchadamnoen Road – the government office area, and Ratchaprasong intersection – the capital’s most significant shopping zone – which had been occupied by protesters during April-May 2010.
A taxi driver, identified as Pan Kamkong, 43, and a boy, Kunakorn Srisuwan, 14, were killed near the Airport Link’s Ratchaprarob station on May 15 and a van driver, Samorn Maithong, was shot and seriously injured in a shootout by government personnel who performed their duties under the state of emergency.
The Attorney General said the victims were shot with live bullets by military personnel who fire on demonstrators, adding that Mr Suthep, then deputy prime minister and CRES director, approved the use of live ammunition.
Mr Abhisit said he has already testified to the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) which has been investigating the case and has yet to finalise it.