Thailand halts Rayong Industrial Estate work over suspected rock blasting

0
135
Industry Minister Varawut Silpa-archa orders work halted at WHA ESIE 5 in Rayong after inspectors found evidence of suspected unauthorized blasting.

BANGKOK, Thailand – Thailand’s Industry Ministry has ordered an immediate halt to land preparation work at the WHA Eastern Seaboard Industrial Estate 5 (WHA ESIE 5) in Rayong province following evidence suggesting unauthorized rock blasting, Industry Minister Varawut Silpa-archa said. The move follows investigations into loud explosions and vibrations reported across four districts on Aug. 13. A joint inspection team on Aug. 17 found traces indicating explosive rock destruction at the site, prompting the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand (IEAT) to suspend all site-clearing operations involving rock formations to preserve evidence.


The IEAT has issued an official notice requiring the estate developer to submit a full explanation within three business days. The inquiry will review operational logs, compliance with Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) measures, and relevant legal permits. Estate representatives and contractors previously stated that site preparation involved only heavy machinery breakers without the use of explosives. Authorities said legal action will be taken if violations are confirmed. (TNA)