Bangkok ‘Windsor House and the First Presbyterian Church’ designated as historical sites

0
693
The First Presbyterian Church, established in 1849 by the American Presbyterian Mission, has been a cornerstone of the Presbyterian community in Bangkok since its construction was completed in 1862 in the Samre area.

The Fine Arts Department has officially registered Bangkok’s Windsor House and the First Presbyterian Church as historical sites, recognizing the sites’ historical and cultural value.

Windsor House, situated in Thon Buri district’s Kudeejeen community, is known for its distinctive gingerbread-style architecture. The two-story wooden structure, built during the reign of King Rama IV, was originally the residence of Louis Windsor, a wealthy British merchant. Despite its historical significance, the building has faced challenges with renovation efforts due to its location on property owned by a local church, restricting commercial activities. The new status as a historical site is expected to help overcome these challenges.



The First Presbyterian Church, established in 1849 by the American Presbyterian Mission, has been a cornerstone of the Presbyterian community in Bangkok since its construction was completed in 1862 in the Samre area. Originally, the missionaries held services in their living quarters in the Kudeejeen community before moving to Samre. The church, which faces the Chao Phraya River, features a simple yet elegant design and includes a service building and a bell tower. In 2004, the church received a conservation award from the Association of Siamese Architects under Royal Patronage.

Both sites hold deep historical roots within their respective communities. The First Presbyterian Church is also historically linked to the Bangkok Christian College, a prominent educational institution it later established. (NNT)