A 3-year-old boy died after an iron gate fell off its hinge, crushing him.
Jonathan John Athip Chaoman sustained a fractured skull when the 3×2-meter iron grating fell on him at the Daraphan 3 Village on Soi Khao Talo Sept. 1.
Parents Ewan Chapman, 42, and Duangthip Phetniem, 31, said they were returning from a local market when their toddler opened the gate. Before they could react, it fell off its hinges, crushing the boy. Paramedics tried, but could not resuscitate the child.
The boy’s grieving mother lamented she had warned her son many times about playing with the gate, but he never listened.
Police determined the rolling gate did not have a lock at the end. So when it reached the end of its rail, nothing stopped it from falling off.