Pattaya and Royal Thai Navy officials marked the 93rd anniversary of the death of “father of the Thai navy” at an Apakorn Day ceremony in Pattaya.
Vice Adm. Wiroj Thanwarakkitch, head of the Naval Radio Station, led the May 19 commemoration for Prince Apakorn Kiartivongse Chumporn Khet Udomsak at the Prince Chumphon monument atop Pratamnak Hill. He was joined by military and Pattaya City officials.
The prince studied naval warfare in England and returned to Siam in the age of King Rama V to serve in the Royal Siamese Navy and contribute significantly to the advancement and modernization of the service.
Prince Apakorn Kiartivongse Chumporn Khet Udomsak is remembered at the Prince Chumphon monument atop Pratamnak Hill.
In addition to his career in the navy, the prince studied medicine and was particularly interested in the use of herbal medicine in treating his patients. As “Doctor Phon,” he provided medical treatment to people of all classes and races.
The Royal Thai Fleet traces its roots to 1923 when a unit specializing in warships was founded under the name Royal Thai Navy, reporting directly to the Ministry of Naval Officers, with three warships fleets consisting of gun and torpedo squadrons and warships.
It wasn’t until 1933 when the name Royal Thai Navy was changed to Royal Thai Warship, reporting directly to the Ministry of Naval Officers, until 1951, when the name was again changed to Royal Thai Fleet.