Legal Eagle wanted


Dear Hillary,

What is the situation when you split from a live-in girlfriend?  Does she have any legal rights to your property, cars, houses and such.  I’ve been with this girl for about a year, and I said it’s time to change, so she’s already got the hand out and wants the house and the car.  Hand them over, or tough it out?  What is your advice?


Dear Jack,

You are asking the wrong person, Petal.  This is Hillary, with heart medicine for those injured in love, not a lawyer specializing in marital problems (though in your case it might be ‘martial’ problems).  Foreigners cannot own houses in Thailand in their own names, so many just put the house in the girlfriend’s name, which is not such a smart move if there is a break-up.  If the piece of paper says it is hers, she is then legally entitled to it.  Same goes with cars and other big ticket items.  Since you went into the relationship, apparently knowing there would be a time to move on (“time to change” you wrote), then you should have been clever enough to protect your interests.  See a lawyer.

Previous articleA way for Will
Next articleSo it does go sideways