Netflix (Thailand), one of the world’s leading streaming platforms, with audiences in more than 190 countries around the world, is expected to cooperate with the Thailand Film Office, Department of Tourism, Ministry of Tourism and Sports, in creating original content for Thailand, which will be the perfect opportunity to promote Thai “soft power” to the world.
The Thailand Film Office has devised measures to encourage foreign production companies to shoot in Thailand by giving benefits to filmmakers who invest 50 million baht or more in Thailand, in the form of a cash rebate of 15% (approx. US$1.4m), plus additional rebates that can be boosted up to 5%:
- +5% for promoting Thai tourism, soft power, and a positive image of Thailand;
- +3% for hiring key Thai personnel;
- +3% for shooting in designated tourism locations;
- +2% for spending on post-production services in Thailand;
- +5% for shooting before 31 December 2023 – *Minimum local spend in Thailand of more than THB 100 million (approx. US$2.8m).
Since the beginning of 2022, there have been 238 films shot in Thailand, which have generated revenues of about 2,558 million baht for the country.
Foreign filmmakers who are interested in filming their productions in the Kingdom can obtain more information via the Facebook fanpage: TFO Thailand Film Office, or tel. (662) 141 3114. (PRD)