BANGKOK, April 8 – Prosecutors filed lawsuits against Iranian suspects in connection with bombings at three locations on Sukhumvit 71 Road in February, said Deputy Police Chief Pansiri Prapawat.
Pol Gen Pansir, head of the investigation team overseeing this bombing which occurred on February 14 speaking on the progress of the case, said that regarding Thailand’s extradition request for Masoud Sedaghatzadeh, one of the five suspects, the Malaysian court’s ruling on that is set for April 16.
Arrest warrants have so far been issued for Saeid Moradi, Mohammad Hazaei, Masoud Sedaghatzadeh, Leila Rohani, and Madani Seyed Mehrded.
Three of the suspects, all men, were reported to have fled a rented house in Sukhumvit 71’s Soi Pridi Panomyong 31 where the first bomb exploded, blowing the roof off the building.
One, an Iranian national identified as Saeid Moradi, was seriously injured by his own hand grenade when confronted by police officers and tried to hurl the grenade at them.
The explosion tore off one leg while the other leg was seriously mangled and ultimately amputated in emergency surgery at the hospital.
Meanwhile, Mohammad Hazaei, 42, was arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport while attempting to board a plane bound for Malaysia and a third Iranian identified as Masoud Sedaghatzadeh was arrested on Wednesday by Malaysian authorities in Kuala Lumpur.
Regarding a fourth suspect, an Iranian national identified as Rohani Leila, Immigration Bureau Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Wiboon Bangthamai cited intelligence reports that she had returned to the Iranian capital of Tehran.
Ms Rohani was identified as the person who rent the house at Sukhumvit 71’s Soi Pridi Panomyong 31.
The fifth suspect, Madani Seyed Mehrded was detained on February 26 after police raided a rented room at Nasa Vegas Tower in eastern Bangkok’s Khlong Ton area.
He was captured on CCTV footage walking away from the rented house where the first bomb apparently detonated by accident.