British police visit Ko Tao crime scene on weekend


SURAT THANI, Oct 27 –  Three British police officers made a weekend inspection of locations on Ko Tao in the Gulf of Thailand where the two British tourists visited before their brutal murders last month. 

Pol Lt Gen Pravut Thawornsiri, acting assistant to Thailand’s national police chief, took the three Scotland Yard police officers and two other officials, including a British embassy officer, to inspect locations including a restaurant, a surveillance camera and a convenience store which the two victims visited just before they were murdered.

The British police officers later attended a meeting with Thai police at the meeting room of Ko Tao municipality office and, according to Pol Lt Gen Pravut, said they were satisfied with the evidence obtained by the Thai police and the way the investigation is being carried out.

The British officers, who arrived in Bangkok Wednesday, later returned to the capital.

They are expected to stay in Thailand for some time to try to gather for more information relating to the killing of the two British victims.

Their report will be given to the British government later, said Pol Lt Gen Pravut.

To date, two Myanmar migrant workers on the island have been apprehended and charged  by police with murdering Hannah Victoria Witheridge, 23, and David William Miller, 24.

Their bodies were found early on September 15 on a beach of Ko Tao off the southern coastal province of Surat Thani.

Both were brutally murdered, and Miss Witheridge was also raped.

Meanwhile, the Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Office in London issued a statement saying that the mission of the three British officers is to discuss the deaths with Thai police in order to gain a better understanding on investigation conducted by the Thai side.

It said the British police may offer assistance if asked by the Thai government.

So far the prosecutor office has not yet filed charges to the criminal court because the lawyer and the parents of the accused Myanmar men have asked for additional investigation.

Police, however, said they are not worried even if the two suspects recant  their earlier statements during a trial as they have strong evidence against them.