Aging is a side effect of life

0
833

“Aging is a side effect of life,” according to Dr Sureeporn Sritangrattanakul, a dermatologist with Bangkok Hospital Pattaya (BHP). Dr Sureeporn spoke about healthy skin care and how to reverse aging to the Pattaya City Expats Club at their Sunday, March 16 meeting. She received her medical degree in 2003 from Chulalongkorn University.  She has been a dermatologist with Bangkok Pattaya Hospital since 2011. Also, BPH provided a nurse to give free blood pressure checks for members and guests.

Dr. Sureeporn explained that there are two kinds of aging: (1) chronological (i.e. how old a person is) and (2) biological. Thus, a person could be 62 years of age (chronologically) but look younger (biologically). Further, that 30% of aging is genetic. The other 70% is behaviour (including diet) and environment. Also, people will age less quickly if they are strong, active and healthy; and if they eat healthy food, take care of their bodies and take care of their skin.

Dr Sureeporn Sritangrattanakul, a dermatologist with Bangkok Pattaya Hospital (BPH) spoke to PCEC about healthy skin care and how to reverse ageing on Sunday, March 16th. Dr. Sureeporn explained that there are two kinds of aging: (1) chronological (i.e. how old a person is) and (2) biological (the age a person appears to be). Thus, a person could be 62 years of age (chronologically) but look younger (biologically). 30% of aging is genetic, and the other 70% is behaviour related (including diet, exercise, and alcohol & smoking habits)Dr Sureeporn Sritangrattanakul, a dermatologist with Bangkok Pattaya Hospital (BPH) spoke to PCEC about healthy skin care and how to reverse ageing on Sunday, March 16th. Dr. Sureeporn explained that there are two kinds of aging: (1) chronological (i.e. how old a person is) and (2) biological (the age a person appears to be). Thus, a person could be 62 years of age (chronologically) but look younger (biologically). 30% of aging is genetic, and the other 70% is behaviour related (including diet, exercise, and alcohol & smoking habits)

The aim of anti-aging medicine is to delay degenerative disease and maintain good health. Some of the more common skin diseases are pityriasisversicolor, seborrheic dermatitis, other forms of dermatitis, viral warts, and rashes (on different parts of the body).

People who already have healthy skin should practice good skin care, Dr Sureeporn said. This means adopting good hygiene practices, showering regularly and using a good soap. The “right” soap varies among individuals. For example, people with oily skins will need a soap that counteracts the oiliness, whereas a person with dry skin needs to use a moisturising soap. Dry skin is more prone to infections. Dr Sureeporn also advised that people with oily scalps should not use a moisturising shampoo.

Being in the sun is healthy as long as you take some precautions. Dr Sureeporn referred to the five S’s for skin care when you plan to be in the sun: Slip on protective clothing; Slop on SPF30+ sunscreen (reapply every two hours); Slap on a broad-rimmed hat; Seek shade; and Slide on wrap around sunglasses.

Following Dr Sureeporns’ talk, MC Richard Silverberg thanked her on behalf of PCEC members and guests with a PCEC Certificate of Appreciation.Following Dr Sureeporns’ talk, MC Richard Silverberg thanked her on behalf of PCEC members and guests with a PCEC Certificate of Appreciation.

Dr Sureeporn said that practising good nutrition may seem hard or not much fun at first. However, she said, if you can persevere for three weeks, you will actually start to enjoy it! She explained that three weeks is all the time needed to change one’s habits.  She advised that eating lots of sugar is bad for the skin; it can cause wrinkles.

She reviewed some of the cosmetic treatments available to remove wrinkles and make one’s skin look younger. She mentioned botox injections; filler injections; and laser and radio frequency treatments, such as the skin rejuvenation (SR) applicator, the Martix IR fractional skin applicator, and thermage. Dr Sureeporn said that thermage is a good alternative to having a facelift operation. Further, that people should use only high-quality treatments for injection and laser therapy. She recommended that these procedures be done only in hospitals and only by qualified practitioners. She pointed out that thermage treatment is available in many clinics but that there is a risk you will not be getting the real thing.

After Dr. Sureeporn answered several questions, Master of Ceremonies Richard Silverberg brought everyone up to date on upcoming events and called on Roy Albiston to conduct the always informative Open Forum; where questions are asked and answered about Expat living in Thailand, especially Pattaya.

For more information on the many activities of the Pattaya City Expats Club, visit their website at www.pcecclub.org.