More smoke than fire at Walking Street go-go bar

0
1547
Shoddy air-conditioning is being blamed for a daytime fire that caused 30,000 baht in damage at the Iron Club on Walking Street.
Shoddy air-conditioning is being blamed for a daytime fire that caused 30,000 baht in damage at the Iron Club on Walking Street.

Shoddy air-conditioning repairs are being blamed for a daytime fire that caused more than 30,000 baht in damage at Walking Street go-go bar.

No one was injured and the blaze was nearly out by the time emergency crews arrived at the Iron Club about 3 p.m. Aug. 19. The narrow but cavernous bar was filled with smoke, however. Three fire trucks responded with firefighters dousing the few remaining flames.

Air-conditioning repairman Borisut Sawandee, 38, said he was reassembling a cooling unit after cleaning when it began shooting off sparks set off the fire.

He grabbed a nearby fire extinguisher to put out most of the fire, but the smoke filled the bar.