Government officials marked the 41st anniversary of Pattaya’s founding with a merit-making ceremony at city hall.
City Council Chairman Anan Angkanawisai and Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome led civil servants to the 8 a.m. alms giving to monks before everyone paid respects to spirits and the statue of King Thaksin the Great, Pattaya’s honorary city father.
Officials also laid a wreath for Prinya Chaowaritthamrong, the former Industry Ministry permanent secretary who donated the 10 rai of land that Pattaya City Hall now sits on.
Pattaya came into being with the Pattaya City Administration Act of 1978. Before that the area was known as Naklua Sanitation District, established in 1956, which was expanded to South Pattaya in 1964 with a manageable area of 22.2 sq. kilometers.
As Pattaya grew, the government issued the Pattaya City Administration Act of 1978, dissolving Naklua Sanitation District and Pattaya City was born. The city has been administered under a special autonomous system of city management since November 29, 1978.