In reply to ‘Walker’ (7th Jan) who asks if smoke from tree bark is toxic, it can be said that all smoke is toxic and cancer producing. Smoke from plastic and tyres is certainly far more dangerous than that from wood and leaves.
His story reminds me of an incident some thirty years ago in Sri Lanka when the neighbour of my colleague Dr. Jayasuriya lit a bonfire. Jayasuriya called the fire brigade and two fire engines sped to the scene. The irate firemen had no choice but to douse the bonfire!
The most ubiquitous and dangerous of all smoke is that of modern cigarettes followed, probably, by vehicle exhaust. That people actually pay money to breathe smoke is as incomprehensible and mind-boggling as a black hole.
Dr. Michael Nightingale