Phuket declares fired-ravaged pub area off-limits

0
523

PHUKET, Aug 17 — Phuket authorities have declared the fire-ravaged Tiger Pub and Discotheque off-limits area after this morning’s death of four patrons, whose charred bodies were burned beyond recognition and are awaiting identification.

Deputy Phuket Governor Chaiwat Thapee and senior police officers inspected the fire scene at Tiger Pub and Discotheque at Soi Bang La, Patong Beach in Kathu district after the fire had burnt the venue at around 2am.

Ten firefighters were called in to control the fire and the authorities took about one hour to extinguish the blaze.

Four people were killed in the fire. Their remains were taken to Patong Hospital for identification process.

Mr Chaiwat said that the province declared the Tiger Pub and Discotheque area off-limits, and that civil engineers would inspect the structure which was severely damaged by the fire.

Among the 11 persons injured from the fire, nine have been discharged, with two severely injured people are under close medical supervision.

Meanwhile, Thamrongsak Boomrak, executive of Tiger Group which operates Tiger Pub and Discotheque said that the fire broke out after the bar had closed but many patrons both Thais and foreigners were still drinking.

He said an electrical short circuit may have been the cause of the fire as there was an electrical transformer explosion at the time which caused blackout in the area.

Mr Thamrongsak said that Tiger Group would be responsible to compensate all victims.