Former suspects ask to be lifted from blacklist

0
463

PATTANI, May 15 – A senior government official today promised to remove the names of former suspects, arrested under the enforcement of the emergency decree and martial law, from the state’s blacklist.

Pol Col Tawee Sodsong, secretary general of the Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre (SBPAC), said he will coordinate with related government agencies to clear the names of the innocent people from the official blacklist.


The move was made following a complaint by one of the former suspects, Romali Dukar, whose charges were acquitted by the court but his name on the list impeded him from buying land.

Mr Romali, a Pattani resident, was put behind bars during the trial. After spending a year and nine months in jail, the court acquitted his case and he was set free.

He said many suspects in similar circumstances have been blacklisted and could not apply for legal documents including passports.

The SBPAC today met with former suspects who had been arrested and detained under the Executive Decree in Public Administration in Emergency Situations, to listen to their grievances and opinions.

There are 181 persons in the category in Pattani but only 150 showed up today.

Col Tawee said their views and suggestions would be compiled as part of the solution to the southern problem.