Fire guts Russian travel agency as Burmese workers sleep

0
358

Fire gutted the upper floors of a Russian tour operator’s Jomtien Beach building while 30 Burmese employees slept on floors below.

Five fire engines responded to the Jan. 22 blaze at the Town Home Commercial Building opposite Soi Pratamnak 5 around 5:30 a.m. The fire was controlled in about 10 minutes.

Firefighters extinguish the blaze at the Town Home Commercial Building. Firefighters extinguish the blaze at the Town Home Commercial Building.

Remarkably, no one was injured in the fire, even though about 30 Burmese workers were sleeping downstairs. All fled after flames broke out.

Furnishings and ventilation equipment in the upper-floor living quarters were destroyed, with damage estimated at 300,000 baht. Fire inspectors speculate faulty wiring in the ceiling caused the blaze.