
NAN, Thailand – Prime Minister and Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul visited Nan province on Aug. 23 to review the flood situation and recovery efforts, expressing condolences to families who lost loved ones and ordering all agencies to provide full assistance to affected residents. Anutin chaired a meeting at Nan Provincial Hall with senior officials and ministers to assess flooding in the North and Northeast and discuss recovery plans. He said the government’s priority was protecting lives and property while ensuring affected communities return to normal as quickly as possible.
The Prime Minister praised Deputy Prime Minister Yotsanan Wongsawat, who had been assigned to oversee the northern region and had travelled to Nan early in the crisis to coordinate the response. Anutin said the cooperation among ministries, local authorities, the military and emergency agencies had helped the situation improve. Although floodwaters in Nan have receded, Anutin warned that the rainy season is continuing and authorities must remain alert for heavy rain, flash floods and landslides. He instructed officials to improve early warnings and give residents enough time to move vehicles, belongings and vulnerable people to safety.
Authorities were also ordered to speed up repairs to roads, bridges, electricity, water supplies, hospitals, homes and agricultural areas. Government agencies were told to work together and deploy machinery, pumps, boats and other resources wherever needed.

Anutin said the government would also use the Nan floods to develop better short- and long-term disaster preparedness plans, with the aim of reducing future damage to communities, the economy and tourism.
Nan Governor Chainarong Wongyai said the Nan River had returned to normal levels and the province had entered the recovery phase. Teams were working through Pua, Tha Wang Pha, Mueang Nan, Phu Phiang and Wiang Sa districts, with authorities expecting major cleanup and restoration work to take about four to five days.
The first round of government relief payments of 6,700 baht per affected household is scheduled to begin from Aug. 30 to Sept. 1, covering essential items including bedding, kitchen equipment and clothing. A second round will cover home repairs following damage assessments by local authorities and engineering teams. Anutin said the government would continue monitoring the situation closely, stressing that the safety and well-being of residents must remain the top priority. (TNA)













