An elderly woman was injured and her Pattaya house destroyed by a gas fire that began when she put the kettle on for coffee.
Maliwan Muengnoi, 70, suffered minor burns in the May 10 blaze at her single-story home on Sukhumvit Soi 67. Two adjacent buildings also suffered fire damage.
Seven emergency vehicles responded to the blaze with firefighters needing 30 minutes to control it. Damage was estimated at a million baht.
Maliwan told police she had lit a gas stove installed on her sidecar motorbike she uses to sell coffee and it burst into flames. She tried to turn off the gas, but burned her hand. By the time she ran to a neighbor for help, the fire had spread.