Sattahip bicyclist critical after collision with Thai folk singer’s van


A Sattahip man is in critical condition after being hit by a van carrying famed Thai folk song musician Monsit Kamsroi and his family while returning from a Songkran celebration in Plutaluang.

Kamsroi, whose real name is Bunthung Kaewsrinuan, was not driving the Toyota minivan that hit 37-year-old Suchat Buakerd while he was riding a bicycle on Sukhumvit Road at the Bang Saray intersection April 15. The musician’s driver, Sommai Kensantia, 39, was arrested for reckless driving and has pledged to cover all the injured man’s medical expenses.

Monsit Kamsroi (center) and Am-Nantiya Sri-Ubon (left) present a gift basket to Suchat’s mother, Pairat Kampanon.  The injured Suchat (right) remains unresponsive. Monsit Kamsroi (center) and Am-Nantiya Sri-Ubon (left) present a gift basket to Suchat’s mother, Pairat Kampanon.  The injured Suchat (right) remains unresponsive.

Suchat remains in intensive care at Queen Sirikit Medical Center with two broken legs, broken ribs, ruptured spleen and bladder and a lung injury.

Sommai visited the injured man in the hospital immediately after the accident and apologized for the accident to relatives who were said to be uninterested in pressing charges against the folk singer.

He returned April 19 with Monsit and Am-Nantiya Sri-Ubon, another well-known singer from the Sure Entertainment music label. The trio apologized for the accident and begged forgiveness from family members, who said Suchat is still not out of danger.

Monsit and Am-Nantiya Sri-Ubon presented a gift basket and cash to Suchat’s mother, apologizing that the money was “not much,” but would likely be sufficient to cover the man’s hospital bills. He later said the payment was only “preliminary,” leaving open to possibility of further support.

Suchat’s mother, Pairat Kampanon, said she doesn’t intend to press charges because “accidents happen.” She said she only wants her son to recover soon and return to a normal life.

Before the accident Pairat said she and her family were construction workers in Sattahip, but took a break during Songkran to return home to Srakaew. Suchat stayed behind and she said she became worried when she could not reach him. She returned to Sattahip to discover her son had been run down by the minivan and was in the intensive care unit.