Pattaya’s Wat Chaimongkol Wat Phra Aaramluang has been designated a
South Pattaya’s Wat Chaimongkol has been designated a royal
temple, elevating what was once a private monastery in the area’s most
important center of worship.
Formally named Wat Chaimongkol Wat Phra Aaramluang, the temple received
a royal first-class appointment, denoting it as an honorary royal temple
and head institution in the area. Top government and Buddhist officials
celebrated the award with the start of a three-day festival Jan. 21.
Abbot Pisan Jriyaphiwat welcomed Somdej Phra Phut
Chinawong, the ecclesiastical governor of the region and president of
the Dissemination of National Buddhism Committee. Also joining was
former Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome, Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome and
top city elected officials.
On each day of the ceremony, the monk committee chanted Buddhists
prayers and stanzas to bless those attending. The president of the
laymen’s group presented items to monks, while novices helped distribute
prayer books. Each night, there were performances while vendors and
merchants sold drinks to guests.
Chaimongkol Temple was built in 1937 on land donated by Liang Khakhay
with Provost Vibul Sangkhakan serving as the first abbot. The temple was
royally granted land in 1954 and, in 1982, Vibun died and followers
requested Samuhyien Mongkliko take over. He served until 2008, when
Pisan was appointed.