Bangkok, May 6, 2011 — For the first time, locally-made products are to be at the forefront of the Amazing Thailand Grand Sale 2011, the biggest annual shopping extravaganza to be held nationwide between 15 June to 15 August 2011.
As in past years, the annual Grand Sale is organised by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) together with VISA International and tourism related agencies. As of this week, over 15,000 shops, department stores, spas, airlines, hotels, hospitals, duty-free, jewellery, golf courses, and travel agents have agreed to participate.
This year, along with the brand-name products which are traditionally the most popular purchased items, special attention is being paid to promote the sale of locally-made products; such as, handicrafts, apparel, decorations and home-use products made under the umbrella of the One Tambon One Product (OTOP) scheme.
The OTOP scheme allows villages all over Thailand to specialise in making local products with the Royal Thai Government providing support for marketing, distribution and sales. The scheme contributes significantly towards job creation and poverty alleviation in the provinces.
Popular retail and wholesale markets where OTOP and locally-made products are available include Chatuchak Market, J.J. Mall, Pratunam Platinum, Outlet Mall and others.
The Amazing Thailand Grand Sale will be held in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai, Pattaya, Hua Hin and Koh Samui Local shopping streets will be organised in all the participating cities.
TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasreni said, “Thailand is a shopping paradise for worldwide visitors, thanks to our value-for-money factor and extensive diversity of products and services. The Grand Sale is now in its 14th year and goes from strength to strength, thanks to the cooperation of all the participating companies, organisations and the support of our primary partner, VISA International.”
As is normal every year, shoppers will also get shopping discounts of up to 80 percent on a broad range of products and services and up to 20 percent off on food and beverage. They will have a chance to win lucky-draw prizes and also avail of a month-long opportunity to become better acquainted with Thai culture and lifestyles.
Those who book their travel plans in advance with participating tour operators and airlines in their respective countries will get additional benefits; such as, special discount card from leading retail outlets, discounted travel insurance and Fast Track coupons to cut waiting times at airport immigration channels.
The “Amazing Thailand Grand Sale Fair 2011” will be held at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center between 28-31 July 2011, at which about 600 tourism-related products and services will be available for sale at discounts of between 10-80 percent.
Travel agents in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, China (Guangzhou, Shanghai), India (New Delhi, Mumbai) and Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh) that participate in the ATGS 2011 will have a chance to “Win A Trip to Thailand” with a total of five prizes, 2 persons per prize comprising a round-trip air ticket from their home country to Thailand; two-nights accommodation; shopping and dining vouchers, and spa and massage privileges.
Beside getting the discounts, both Thai and foreign tourists will have a chance to win a range of coupon-based prizes; such as,
1. Foreign tourists will be able to fill out coupons for the prize-draw of a “30 Days Experience Thailand”. Along with one companion, prize winners will be able to visit Thailand for 30 days, with first-class round-trip air tickets, domestic round-trip air tickets on all routes as per the tour programme, transfers, accommodation at deluxe hotels, meals, entrance fees for all sites, a Thai lifestyle and culture experience, guides and pocket money for 2 persons (10,000 Baht per person per day).
2. Foreign tourists will be able to book a travel package at special prices from travel agents participating in the ATGS 2011 project which include Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, China (Guangzhou and Shanghai), India (New Delhi, Mumbai) and Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam). In addition, they will get a ATGS Privileges Card which will carry additional discounts of 5-10 percent over the normal discount.
3. Those that book seats on Thai Airways, Air Asia and Bangkok Airways will have a chance to win 10 prizes of 2-nights stay accommodation at the Accor Group.
4. Those that reserve online for accommodation at the hotels of the Dusit and Accor Groups will get special rates and an over-riding discount of 5-10 percent.
5. At KingPower Duty-Free, Suvarnabhumi Airport, tourists will get a 500 Baht coupon when they buy products worth over 5,000 Baht, In addition, car rental and mobile roaming companies will also offer special privileges.
6. The BTS Skytrain mass-transit system in Bangkok will be offering a 10 Baht discount for a One-day Pass ticket. Tourists can register online to avail of this.
7. Thai tourists will have a chance to win a 1,000,000 Baht coupon when they spend 500 Baht at participating shops and services. If they pay by cash or credit card, they will get 1 coupon but for payments by VISA card, they will get 2 coupons.
8. All tourists will have a chance to join the Top spender programme. Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, tourists who buy products and services from shops on the shopping streets in each province can write their contact details on the back of the credit card slip and place it in boxes for the lucky draw. The first Top Ten spenders of each week will have a chance to win 10 prizes, for a total of 560 prizes, valued at 1,120,000 Baht.
The ceremony for all the lucky draws will be held on 20 September 2011. The names of the winners will be published on the Grand Sale web site www.tourismthailand.org/thailandgrandsale on 10 October 2011.
International Public Relations Division
Tourism Authority of Thailand
Tel: +66 (0) 2250 5500 ext. 4545-48
Fax: +66 (0) 2253 7419
E-mail: [email protected]
Web site: www.tatnews.org