BANGKOK, May 11 – One person was wounded as fire threatened the business offices of the upscale Le Concorde Tower in a prime Bangkok commercial area of Ratchadapisek on Friday.
Initial reports said the fire broke out in the afternoon at the Swissotel Le Concordel in a mixed business and entertainment area of Ratchadapisek Road which also offers office rental services, but it was later clarified that the brief blaze developed in a basement storeroom of high-rise office tower which is located nearby.
Although the fire occurred in an underground storeroom of the office, and not in the hotel, the incident caused panic among hotel guests and tourists who all escaped from the compound.
The situation was under control as emergency personnel using fire extinguishers put out the fire in 15 minutes. The hotel now reopened for business.
One woman, not yet identified, was injured, when she fainted.
Emergency response authorities believe the fire was caused by an electrical short circuit, but further investigation is being conducted by the police forensics department.