Walter brace earns the points for City


Bangkok Casuals Amateur Football League Div 1

With no games for the last three weeks, and coming off three earlier defeats, Pattaya City FC were looking forward to the chance to climb the league table with a game against mid-table French side Les Gaulois last weekend.

Everything was looking rosy for City until the opening kick-off when the French promptly took the lead in the first 5 minutes of the match.  Les Gaulois continued to put pressure on the City defense, however, it was City who nearly scored next when a blazing shot by Emery hit the bar and with a desperate French defense unable to clear the ball, it was pounced on by City’s Coulson whose shot also hit the bar and eventually this time the ball was cleared to safety.

This unfortunate luck didn’t discourage City and they started to put the French defense under more pressure and a good ball by City’s Walter found leading scorer Vorontsov who beat two defenders to slot the ball home for the equalizer and make the score 1-1.

City’s keeper Yongui brought off another good save to deny a French forward who shot on the turn from eight yards, and at the other end of the field a free-kick by City’s Paul Madden just skimmed the French bar.  At half time the scores remained level at 1-1.

Straight after the restart Les Gaulois took the lead once more through forward Zemir, who was unmarked at the far post and had a simple task to prod the ball home to make it 2-1.  The French started to get on top with their talented midfielder Daveil pulling the strings and with City’s leading scorer limping off the pitch, the Pattaya team were having to battle hard in the blistering heat.

City’ coaching staff rang the changes; with centre half Philip Walter being pushed up front, but it was the City keeper who kept his team in the game with another couple of fine saves.

Slowly City started to get on top of the French defense and it came as no surprise when they drew level through Walter, who slammed the ball home from a corner kick to equalize and make it 2-2.  Not content with the draw, City pushed forward and it was that man Walter again who gave them the lead for the first time in the match as he fired home a rebound from a free-kick.

There was one more scare for City before the end as a Les Gaulois forward beat the offside trap and looked odds on to score, but his shot hit the City goalpost and rebounded to safety.

The final whistle sounded soon after bringing to a close a fine game between two teams who gave their all despite the sweltering conditions.