Vorontsov’s four-goal salvo ensures win for City


Bangkok Casuals Football League 2012/13

With a change of fixture last weekend, Pattaya City in 6th place played 4th place Bangkok in the capital and were looking forward to having the opportunity to climb further up the table.

City nearly went ahead early in the game when a Bangkok defender lost the ball to Emery whose shot was well saved by the Bangkok keeper, and with the same player headed wide soon after from a centre by full-back Leat.  The City keeper had to be alert as well as Bangkok counter attacked and he proved to be equal to the task.

With City playing an efficient offside trap, chances were few and far between for Bangkok but midway through the first half City gained a throw in on the left, from which Mokgothu broke clear, skipped past two defenders and squeezed the ball between the post and the Bangkok keeper to put City 1-0 in front.

This was followed up by a period of sustained pressure from City: a long run by Vorontsov saw Bryant receive the ball in a good position but he could not supply the finishing touch and from a corner kick captain Walter’s free header soared over the bar, which was the last action of the half.

After the interval Bangkok put together a series of attacks but they were short on ideas and the City defense held firm.  City were now coming to grips with the Bangkok tactics and a defense splitting ball by Dipta found Vorontsov who slipped the ball past the advancing keeper to make it 2-0 to City.  The visitors made it 3-0 soon after as Jannson sent a through ball to Vorontsov who shot past the Bangkok keeper to score his second goal in the space of 2 minutes.

City had the scent of victory and Vorontsov completed his hat trick with City’s fourth goal as the Bangkok team just collapsed.  The hosts tried to get back into the game but a goal line clearance from City’s Tshuma reached Dipta in space and his pass found Vorontson whose shot hit the top of the net to make it 5-0 to City.

Bangkok managed to score a consolation goal just before the final whistle to make the final score 5-1.  This was a steady performance by City who are now slowly climbing up the league, but there is a long way to go yet.