City’s winning run comes to an end


Pattaya City, who were on a good run with four league wins on the trot, including a fine 3-1 victory over Cosmos in their previous match, finally came unstuck on a sweltering day at the Thai Polo Club last weekend against Bangkok FC.

City were the first to settle in the match and within five minutes captain Craig Bank opened the scoring when his shot hit the back of the net after good work by Tshuma and Dipita to put the home team 1-0 up.  A superb cross by Supachai again found Banks soon after but he volleyed it over the bar with only the keeper to beat.

Another opening came after a six man move saw the ball reach City’s Paul Fox who found himself alone in front of Bangkok’s goal and only had to side foot the ball home, but he managed to put it wide much to his disbelief.

City were playing good football even though the heat of the sun was bearing down and taking its toll, however Bangkok slowly got a foothold into the game and when their forward blazed a shot over the bar when it was easier to score, it should have served as a warning to City whose defence up to that point was playing an effective offside tactic.

City continued to carve out further openings of their own but they were all squandered and then disaster struck when the Bangkok forwards beat the offside trap to equalize with the last kick of the first half to make it 1-1.  This was a devastating blow as City had created all the chances but were only level at half time.

After the interval both teams cancelled each other out and chances were few and far between.  The first real attack of the second half came when a Bangkok defender picked up a loose ball in his own penalty area and ran the whole length of the field before crossing the ball to a colleague who met the ball with an unstoppable volley for Bangkok to take the lead 2-1.

City begun to wilt in the hot sun and with the Bangkok players getting stronger they came more into the game.  Then City were given a lifeline when they gained a free kick, just outside the penalty area,  A curling cross by Robespierre was missed by everybody in the crowded box but lingering at the far post was City’s centre half Philip Walter who thrust out a leg to equalize and make the score 2-2.

In the last four matches, City have scored some late goals to win their matches, but it was their turn to be on the receiving end this time when Bangkok broke through with five minutes left as City’s keeper was left stranded when the Bangkok’s forward shot into the top of the net, to make the final result 3-2 to Bangkok FC.  If City are going to reclaim their title they must convert the many chances that they make during their matches.

The Res game was cancelled last week and they were awarded their first points of the season with a score line of 3-0 and this coming week they are at the Thai Polo Club on Saturday, Dec. 3 with the kick off at 2-30 p.m. and the first team are playing in Bangkok on Sunday.