City slip back in the title race


Bangkok Casuals League Div. 1 & 2

Pattaya City played the Bangkok team the Scans last Saturday at Thai Polo Club and knew that nothing less than a win was needed to keep the pressure on the other teams at the top of the table.

After beating the Scans 4-1 earlier in the season City were confident of achieving the right result this time around and began the game in impressive fashion, with some slick passing moves leaving their opponents chasing shadows, however, despite carving out some good opportunities City were unable to make the breakthrough.  A blockbuster shot by City captain Craig Banks brought a great save from the Scans keeper which was followed by a spectacular overhead kick from a defender to clear the ball off his own goal line.

Pattaya City FC take on Scans FC at Thai Polo Club, Saturday, March 17. (Photo/Pattaya City FC) Pattaya City FC take on Scans FC at Thai Polo Club, Saturday, March 17. (Photo/Pattaya City FC)

A goal had to come from somewhere with all the pressure on the Scans defense, and when the lively Vorontsov broke through the visitors’ back line he was dumped on the floor and a penalty was given.  Vorontsov decided to take the penalty himself but he pulled his shot wide of the upright to hand the visitors another let-off.

Despite this setback, City maintained their dominance of the game and eventually made the breakthrough their play deserved when a 35-yard howitzer of a shot sailed into the Scans net to make it 1-0, which remained the score at the break.

A big shock awaited City at the start of the second half however when, in their first attack, City’s Tshuma hit an unstoppable shot that struck the inside of the Scans post and was cleared downfield to be picked up by an opposing midfielder who squared the ball into the path of his center forward to equalize for the Scans to make it 1-1.

Both defenses upped the stakes by keeping the forwards quiet but then City burst through only to hit the bar.  The Scans slowly made inroads through the City defense but just could not get a telling shot in and the match started to deteriorate, which led to one player being sent off from each side.  The game ended in a 1-1 scoreline and was a very disappointing result for City.

City Res give the division leaders a fright

The Pattaya City Res team played table topping Titans for the second week in succession and looked forward to a good result after the previous week’s positive showing.

The defenders of both sides kept on top in the first half and chances were few and far between until City’s forward Brigstock-Barron broke through and with only the keeper to beat was brought down in the penalty box.  Captain Gary Bowden converted the resulting spot kick, sending the keeper the wrong way to make it 1-0 to City.

Titans tried to get back on level terms but the City defense held firm and the visitors could only shoot high and wide.  The Titans did equalize however straight after the interval, when the City defense failed to clear the ball properly.

City, who had lost their defending king pin Bowdon through injury, looked like wobbling a little, especially when the Titans were awarded a penalty kick of their own.  However the opposing forward blasted the ball high over the bar and the City Res could breathe again.

Titans were still looking to take the lead and put the City defense under extreme pressure but it held firm until a good passing move led to goal which the City keeper had no chance to save.  With five minutes to go City threw caution to the wind and nearly equalized when Brian Wilkins header was brilliantly saved by the Titans keeper but the visitors held on to finish 2-1 winners.