Pattaya marked its 40th year of cityhood with a merit-making ceremony attended by public officials and residents.
Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome presided over the Nov. 29 ceremony at which nine monks from local temples chanted for continued good fortune. Afterward they enjoyed a morning meal.
Officials also paid respects to the statue of King Taksin the Great, the spiritual founding father of Pattaya, and a wreath was laid for Prinya Chaowaritthamrong, the former Industry Ministry permanent secretary who donated the 10 rai of land that Pattaya City Hall now sits on.
Pattaya came into being with the Pattaya City Administration Act of 1978. Before that the area was known as Naklua Sanitation District, established in 1956, which was expanded to South Pattaya in 1964 with a manageable area of 22.2 sq. kilometers.
As Pattaya grew, the government issued the Pattaya City Administration Act of 1978, dissolving Naklua Sanitation District and Pattaya City was born. The city has been administered under a special autonomous system of city management since November 29, 1978.