60 Ubon tourists sickened by Rayong som tam

0
1406

About 60 Ubon Ratchathani residents sustained food poisoning after eating som tam on the beach in Rayong.

About 20 percent of the 270 Ubon Phak Phua Thai Party and Pattana community residents visiting Mar Ramoung Beach suffered vomiting, diarrhea and nausea June 9.

Rayong Provincial Administrative Organization representative Thaweep Saengkrajan said a number of the group were transported to Rayong Hospital for treatment after grilling their own squid and eating various kinds of seafood on the beach before a formal dinner at the Rayong Beach Hotel.

Symptoms didn’t appear until after the buffet of six dishes at the hotel, leading to accusations by the sickened Issan villagers that the hotel had poisoned them. Hotel General Manager Buncha Haadsom flatly denied the charges, noting all the food served to the Ubon natives was properly cooked and included no raw meat. Further, he said, nearly 600 guests from other groups did not fall ill.

Buncha reminded the Ubon group they had eaten on the beach, sometimes grilling their own seafood and dining on raw fish in the som tam. The beach food, he said, made them ill.

All the sickened visitors were treated with liquids and antibiotics and released.