The Senate of the United States of America passed a resolution on “Honoring in praise and remembrance the extraordinary life, steady leadership, and remarkable, 70-year reign of King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand.”
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs received a report from the Royal Thai Embassy, Washington D.C., stating that the Senate of the United States of America passed the resolution on 15 March 2017.
In the resolution, the Senate –
(1) honors the extraordinary life, steady leadership, and remarkable, 70-year reign of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand;
(2) extends its deepest sympathies to the members of the Royal Family and to the people of Thailand in their bereavement;
(3) celebrates the alliance and friendship between Thailand and the United States that reflects common interests, a 183-year diplomatic history, and a multifaceted partnership that has contributed to peace, stability, and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region;
(4) congratulates His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn on his accession to the throne; and
(5) building on the strong foundation of alliance nurtured during the reign of the father of His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn, looks forward to deepening the bonds of friendship between Thailand and the United States.
The resolution was submitted by Senator Orrin Hatch, member of the Republican Party serving as the senior United States Senator for Utah and acting as President pro tempore of the United States Senate, as the main sponsor. It was co-sponsored by eight other Senators. This reflects the deep respect and reverence for His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that the historic resolution by the Senate, which is an important institution of the American political system, demonstrated not only the good will of the American legislature as the representatives of the American people, and to the Thai people, but also the aspirations to further strengthen friendly relations between the two countries.
In addition, 20 March 2017 marked the 184th anniversary of Thailand and the United States diplomatic relations.