City’s hard fought win


Bangkok Casuals League, Div 1 & 2

Pattaya City played Triumph Masters in Bangkok on Saturday, March 24, and were looking for another win after already beating them 2-1 and 5-2 this season.

Masters had signed some new players and this match was not going to be easy. But City took the game to the Masters and after a good build up scored the first goal when City’s Clesielski clever header found Freeman who made no mistake to make the score 1-0 to City.

Almost immediately City nearly went two up but Brian Wilkins shot just went over. A good combination of inter passing by the City players brought their second goal when Brigstock-Barron shot wide of the keeper to make it 2-0 to City.

Masters pressured the City defense and the City keeper had to keep on his toes, but it was no surprise when they pulled a goal back to make it 2-1.

Both teams kept it tight until half time. Straight after the break City got a shock when the Masters received a penalty when City’s Glen Wilkins tripped the Masters attacking forward in the penalty area. It was converted to make the score 2-2.

City would now have to roll up their sleeves and get on top again. City did not find it easy but gained a corner on the right and a poor clearance from the Masters defense saw the ball go straight to the unmarked O’Callaghan on the edge of the penalty area. He blasted the ball past a helpless keeper to put City in the lead 3-2.

Masters went looking for another goal and two good saves by the City keeper kept the Masters attackers at bay.

It was City who went further ahead when a shot by O’Callaghan was diverted into the Masters goal by Brigstock-Barron to make the score 4-2.

The Masters came back and again put pressure on the City goal. The keeper was well alert but had no chance when the City defense was caught square and the Masters forward just slotted the ball home to make it 4-3 to City.

The Masters were determined to get at least a draw but the City were just as determined that they will not lose another goal. The last fifteen minutes was hectic but both defenses held tight for City to win 4-3.

Pattaya City saw their chances take a knock of winning the title when they lost at home 2-0 to the Londoner.