Pattaya (AP) — Police in Thailand’s popular seaside resort of Pattaya say about 400 guests and staff were safely evacuated from a hotel whose facade caught fire in the middle of the night. They said the blaze at the Holiday Inn Express caused no injuries or deaths.
An initial investigation found that a short circuit sparked the fire, which began in an area overhanging the hotel’s entrance and spread along cables to the third floor and then to several higher floors. Three firetrucks took about half an hour to put out the blaze.
A hotel staffer said there was no major damage and guests were later allowed back into their rooms.