BANGKOK, Nov 29 – Key protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban announced last night that protesters will never negotiate with the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra which earlier in the day offered a truce and a dialogue with the opposition.
In his speech to demonstrators at the Government Complex on Chaeng Wattana Road, the former Democrat MP predicted the final chapter of the “battle” in the next few days, saying one side or the other will have to go.
“If we win, we will have a people’s assembly and a people’s government which will lead Thailand to a genuine constitutional monarchy,” he said.
He said a national reform will not matarialise unless what he calls “the Thaksin regime” is totally abolished but “the people must come out and join the demonstrations to put pressure on the government.
“This saga must end as soon as possible. We don’t want the prime minister to inflict more damage to the country,” he said, adding that he would keep his operational plan until tonight.
“We will execute the plan immediately after I make the announcement (Friday night). Be ready and prepare your belongings for the operations,” he said.
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, in an address to the nation yesterday, called on protesters to stop their demonstrations.
Mr Suthep hit back, “We will not stop but will intensify our protests. We will never send any representative to hold talks with the government. No dialogue, no negotiation.”
He dismissed a statement by Deputy Prime Minister Pracha Promnok on confidential negotiations with him and stood firm that there were no talks whatsoever.
“I was contacted by some high-ranking people, not ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. We won’t talk to the government,” he declared. (MCOT online news)