Military, government and local residents marked the 87th anniversary of the death of HM King Vajiravudh, who donated the land on which the Sattahip Naval Base was eventually built.
Capt. Aphichai Fungladda, a naval consultant, presided over the Nov. 25 ceremony at the newly constructed King Rama VI monument on Sukhumvit Road’s sixth-kilometer marker. Navy and representatives of the public and private sectors laid wreaths at the statue, honoring the monarch credited with fermenting Thai nationalism.
Military, government and local residents mark the 87th anniversary of the death of HM King Vajiravudh.
In addition to creating the rank of general in the Thai military, Rama VI set aside royal land in 1925 to construct the navy’s new headquarters in 1922.
Naval commanders last year decided that the king, who died Nov. 25, 1925, did not get enough recognition for his contribution to the navy and Sattahip area and pushed for the construction of a permanent monument and decreed that the king would be honored on the anniversary of his death each year.