Sattahip remembers revered monk

Friday, 11 May 2012 From Issue Vol. XX No. 19 By  Patcharapol Panrak

Pupils and followers of revered monk Luang Por Ee, the abbot of Sattahip Temple until 1946, remembered him with a seven-day festival.

Monks organized the May 1-7 celebration for Luang, who was well known for his teachings of scripture and supposed magical powers. Best known were his amulets, which were purported to protect people from dog bites and bombs during World War II.

Monks pay homage to Luang Por Ee, the abbot of Sattahip Temple until 1946.Monks pay homage to Luang Por Ee, the abbot of Sattahip Temple until 1946.

Royal Thai Navy Vice Adm. Chainarong Charoenrak presided over the opening ceremony as eight monks chanted prayers and blessings. Representatives of navy, government heads, local administration organizations, village headmen and followers of Luang Por Ee attended the ceremony.

The fair has been held annually since Luang Por Ee died.  It is held to encourage the public to make merit together. Upon his death, monks and worshippers built a statue of him at the temple as a memorial for all to pay their respects.

The fair featured more than 200 stalls offering products from around the country with some of the proceeds going to temple supplies and renovations.

Luang Por Ee was described as a strict monk who followed Buddhist teachings and practices. He passed away on Sept. 20, 1946 at 81.

comments powered by Disqus
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Advertise With Us | About Us | Feedback | Contact Us