Sattahip Naval Base was first established on December 23, 1922, during the reign of Rama VI, after His Majesty King Vajiravudh selected the location during a visit to the area. The location was chosen because of the vast bay area and the many large and small islands in and around the bay.
Vice Adm. Chainarong Charoenrak leads officers and sailors in celebrations for the Sattahip Naval Base’s 90th anniversary.
The first name given to the naval unit assigned to the base was “Sattahip Troops” and later the base turned into a training station. As the mission of the navy expanded the base acquired the name of “Naval Contingency” and was renamed “Sattahip Naval Base” on July 19, 1974.