Cambodian sailor electrocuted in Sattahip

Friday, 20 December 2013 From Issue Vol. XXI No. 51 By  Patcharapol Panrak

A Cambodian sailor was electrocuted while cleaning a ship connected to a faulty high-voltage line.

Identified only as “Blu,” the 24-year-old Khmer crewman died on board the Mongkol Samut 5 as it was parked under the Plaprathuang Bridge in Sattahip Dec. 10.

A fellow crewman points to where the deceased had been cleaning the boat when electrocuted.A fellow crewman points to where the deceased had been cleaning the boat when electrocuted.

Electrical-burn marks were evident on his chest. Nearby lay a burned 220-volt electrical wire. The ship had tied up to a utility pole and strung up the wire to siphon electricity. Badly grounded, the wire sent current running through part of the ship’s hull.

Witnesses said Blu was cleaning the ship and wet from exertion. He apparently touched the live circuit, sending him flying and stopping his heart.

comments powered by Disqus
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Advertise With Us | About Us | Feedback | Contact Us