Bangkok Gov. Sukhumbhand Paribatra and Austrian Ambassador Johannes Peterlik unveiled “Soi Nada-Mozart” at the embassy’s Jan. 14 celebration in the capital. Buddhist monks blessed the new street and nun Mae Chee Brigitte Schrottenbacher from Austria was on hand with a string quartet performing Mozart melodies.
Austria’s Consul in Pattaya, Rudolf Hofer, represented Pattaya at the event.
Bangkok’s Nandha family, which owns the avenue, gave its blessing for the change from “Soi Nandha” as family members are both fans of Mozart and Austria.
The celebration drew more than 200 ambassadors and luminaries from around the capital, as well as male and female Mozart impersonators who welcomed guests and handed out “Mozart balls” of pistachio marzipan covered in nougat and dark chocolate. Guests including Thai-Austrian Society President Vicky Thananan presented flowers.
The crowd enjoyed an Austrian buffet prepared by Dean & Deluca, whose Senior Operations Manager John Barton has a mother who hails from Vienna.
Ria-Ursula Peterlik, the ambassador’s wife, once again offered Mozart t-shirts for sale with proceeds going to the Child Protection & Development Center in Pattaya.
Austria founded its first embassy in Bangkok in 1912, which was staffed by Rudolf Wodianer of Maglód, who resided both at the embassy and the Mandarin Oriental Hotel.