Time for a change


Dear Hillary,

What is the situation with Thai law when you split from a live-in girlfriend? Does she have any legal rights to your property, cars, houses and such? I’ve been with this girl for about a year, but it’s time to change, but she’s already got the hand out and wants the house and the car. Hand them over, or tough it out? What is your advice?


Dear Jack,

You are asking the wrong person, Petal. This is Hillary, with heart balm for those injured in love, not a lawyer specializing in marital problems, even though some days it seems like it. Since you went into the relationship, apparently knowing there would be a time to move on (“time to change” you wrote), then you should have been clever enough to protect your interests. See a lawyer.

  • J West Hardin

    Wow….did you get taken. Marital property does not form part of the divorce settlement as a farang cannot own land….so on that you’re out of luck. Car and bank accts are a separate issue….this is not EU …grab your crap….what’s left of it and get out. The rest of you, let this be a lesson, this guy was set up and gutted…..dont make the same mistakes…..never marry a bar girl….period…..she doesn’t love you….you’re her job….and her job is to fleece you.

  • J West Hardin

    Jack, misread your story. I missed the live in girlfriend part. If you are not married she gets nothing…. change the locks….rent another girl for a week or two….she’ll fight the last one off for a chance at skimming you.

  • Chris

    Take everything you can and run. This is why you should rent NOT buy in Thailand she gets the house!